Known as the "Sunshine State", Florida is a popular tourist destination, thanks in large part to its subtropical climate and its beautiful beaches.
Here are 10 must-see attractions when visiting Florida:
1. Busch Gardens Africa (in Tampa): A 335-acre theme park with an African theme. The park is home to many animal exhibits as well as exciting thrill and family rides.
2. Cypress Gardens (in Winter Haven): Originally a botanical garden, and known for its water ski shows, Cypress Gardens is today a modern theme park.
3. Daytona USA (in Daytona Beach): Daytona Beach is well-known as the home of the famous Daytona 500 race. It is also home to Daytona USA, a motorsports attraction which incorporates an IMAX theater, a racing simulator and other racing and motorsports exhibits.
4. Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum (in Key West): The famous house at 907 Whitehead Street where Ernest Hemingway lived and wrote many of his classics. The area is still today home to the six-toed polydactyl cats descended from those of Hemingway's days.
5. Gatorland (in Orlando): A 110-acre alligator theme park and wildlife reserve.
6. Kennedy Space Center (near Cape Canaveral): The Kennedy Space Center has served as America's spaceport for the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle programs. The center is home to a wonderful Visitor Complex with many exhibits, two IMAX theaters and offers bus tours around the complex.
7. Monkey Jungle (in Miami): Monkey Jungle is a 30 acre reserve that is home to about 400 primates of 30 species. Visitors walk through cage tunnels while the monkeys run free outside.
8. Morikami Museum and Japanese Gardens (in Delray Beach): A center for Japanese arts and culture. It incorporates two museums as well as Japanese Gardens, and is also home to various Japanese festivals held at various times throughout each year.
9. Salvador Dali Museum (in St. Petersburg): A museum dedicated to the life and work of the famous surrealist artist. The museum is home to 7 masterwork paintings by Dali.
10. Walt Disney World Resort (in Lake Buena Vista just outside Orlando): Walt Disney World is a massive complex of several theme and water parks, including the famous Magic Kingdom.